Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Meaningful Quote I Heard Today

I haven't listened to David Platt from Brook Hills in close to a month so today I listened to his message from January 17th about Believing God. One of the people he mentioned in his sermon was a man named William Kerry who in 1793 moved from England to India to be used by God. Twenty years after he got there a fire broke out at his home while he was in Calcutta. Upon hearing of the fire and the loss of much of his life's work he said, "The Lord has laid me low that I may look more simply to Him. That I might believe God, that God is our reward."

When things get stripped away from you, life gets very real. You begin to view things through much different lenses...lenses of vulnerability, uncertainty, and humility. You begin to see more clearly.....that income you counted on....that job that felt so secure....was merely an illusion.

I am reminding myself that faith, if it is not tested, is no faith at all. It's easy to say you are walking by faith when that path is smooth with only a few minor irritations. But walking by faith is when you continue to move forward when that path becomes uneven, bumpy and treacherous knowing that you do not walk alone and that He has prepared the way. So I will continue to trust and not doubt for God is sovereign over all.

So I have my pen and journal ready to record all of the awesome, mighty acts of God that I will be a witness to!

1 comment: